Huntsville Immigration Detention Lawyer
The United States government will often detain people before deporting them from the country. Some individuals facing detention are held at immigration detention centers. Alternatively, some detainees are kept at the same facility as those awaiting criminal trials.
If you are currently detained by immigration authorities, you are likely concerned about your future. Fortunately, a seasoned immigration attorney could help protect your rights. A Huntsville immigration detention lawyer could inform you of your legal rights and help minimize the time you spend in detention.
Detainment in Huntsville
There are many different situations in which one could be detained by immigration authorities in Huntsville. Individuals are most frequently apprehended under the following circumstances:
- Illegally entering the United States – ICE can detain those who enter the country unlawfully at or near the border.
- Illegally re-entering the United States – Legal re-entry requires an immigration inspection. This checkpoint accesses people’s criminal records to stop individuals with criminal charges. Avoiding this inspection could lead to detention.
- Outstanding deportation orders – Immigration authorities can arrest individuals with active deportation or removal orders.
- Being taken into custody – After an arrest, the police department’s computers send a suspect’s fingerprints to several databases, including immigration archives.
- Attempting to change immigration status or receive immigration benefits – Doing so could inform authorities of a criminal conviction or other offense that could subject a person to legal detention.
If an individual has a criminal record or faces charges regarding an outstanding criminal offense, they should speak with an immigration detention attorney as soon as possible. It is particularly crucial to do so before traveling outside the United States or filing for any changes in immigration status. A experienced Huntsville lawyer could help one evaluate their options.
Legal Rights of Detainees
It is important for individuals detained by immigration to be aware of their rights, as these rights tend to differ from the ones associated with criminal arrest. An immigration detainee is not required to sign any documents or make any statements. They also do not need to answer questions about their immigration status, since information they provide to immigration officials could be used against them. They do have the right to talk to a lawyer, but the government is not required to provide them with any representation. Detained individuals also have the right to speak with someone from their consulate, which they should do as soon as possible.
Detainees should also seek an experienced attorney for guidance. Under certain circumstances, some detained individuals may be eligible for release on bond. A seasoned attorney could help a detainee or their family determine whether they could be eligible for bond. If they secure a bond hearing, a skilled lawyer could help them produce supporting evidence, such as proof of a permanent address, regular job, legally residing relatives, or community involvement.
Huntsville Immigration Detention Attorneys Fight for You
If you or your family member has been detained by immigration, do not attempt to resolve the situation on your own. These are serious matters that could be better handled by a Huntsville immigration detention advocate. Working with an attorney who understands the relevant law and has helped families in similar situations is essential. Do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced Huntsville immigration detention lawyer today.