Family Based Green Card

Family based green card, Atlanta, Birmingham Green Card AttorneyMany people would love to get a family based green card for a loved one. While the process of obtaining legal permanent residency can be long and frustrating, it’s worth the effort. Keep reading to learn more about green card application process for spouses, parents, and children — and how Solano Law Firm can help you streamline the process.

Who Is Eligible for a Family Based Green Card?

If you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, you can apply for legal permanent residency for certain family members. However, the process and scope of each program vary depending on your immigration status.

U.S. Citizens Can Apply for a Wide Range of Family Based Visas

Compared to other populations, U.S. citizens have the broadest range of options when it comes to getting a loved one a family based green card. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition for a green card on behalf of:

  • Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21: Your spouse is typically eligible for an immediate family member visa
  • An orphaned child that you are adopting: Can receive a visa and an expedited green card
  • Your parents: If you are over the age of 21, your parents might be eligible for an immediate visa
  • Your fiance and their minor children: You can apply for a K-1 or K-2 non-immigrant visa for your fiance and their children
  • Other relatives: Citizens can also apply for green cards for relatives like your married children and siblings, but the wait is longer

Immigrants who suffered domestic abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen might also be able to self-petition for a green card under VAWA.

If you are a citizen or the widowed spouse of a U.S. citizen, contact us today to learn about your family based green card options. When you work with Solano Law Firm, we’ll take the necessary time to understand your situation and goals. We will also help you build a practical and effective strategy aimed at meeting them. For a free consultation with an immigration lawyer, contact us today.

Green Card Holders Have Limited, But Valuable, Family Based Visa Options

Family based green card, Atlanta, BirminghamIf you are a legal permanent resident, you can also apply for family based green cards and visas. However, you cannot file a green card application for a parent, sibling, or child who is either married or at least 21 years old.

While you can request a visa for your spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21, the U.S. government caps the number of these applications each year. A green card attorney can advise you regarding the potential wait times your loved ones might face and the caps that apply in your case.

If you’d like to increase your family based green card options, consider becoming a U.S. citizen. Solano Law Firm can help you assess your eligibility. We can also educate you about the naturalization process, and assist you in your journey towards citizenship. Contact us today for more information.

Can DACA Recipients Apply for Family Based Visas?

While DACA recipients can work legally in the United States, they are still technically undocumented. This means that DACA recipients cannot sponsor a family member through one of the United State’s family based visa programs.

At Solano Law Firm, we believe that DREAMers are a valuable asset to our country. And we’re carefully monitoring the laws that apply to these young immigrants. If you need information about the current state of DACA and how it impacts you and your family’s immigration status, we’d love to speak to you.

How Do I Apply for a Family Based Green Card?

Applying for a family based green card isn’t a simple process. You’ll have to file a series of complicated forms and submit documents supporting your claim. In addition, your loved one might have to participate in an interview. A single mistake can cause serious delays, a denied application, and other serious consequences.

To avoid these unwanted complications, it’s almost always in your best interest to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. A lawyer can help you with the following:

  • Identify the exact immigration programs that meet your family’s needs
  • Ensure that your family based green card application is properly completed
  • Compile the extensive information needed to substantiate your loved one’s family based green card application
  • Help your loved one prepare for their interview
  • Advise you about your appeal rights if an application is denied

At Solano Law Firm, we pride ourselves on our compassionate and practical advice. If you’d like to learn more about our approach to family based green cards, contact us for a no-risk consultation. We’ll do our best to help you understand your rights, your legal options, and potential next steps.

Discuss Your Family Based Green Card Options With Solano Law Firm

Solano Law Firm is one of the South’s premier immigration law firms — and we love helping our clients with family based green card matters. If you need help obtaining a visa or green card for a family member, contact us today. One of our team members would love to schedule a no-risk, confidential case evaluation for you. Our Immigration Lawyers offer bi-lingual immigration lawyer services in Atlanta GA and Birmingham, AL.